MSHP Annual Awards
MSHP is proud to recognize individuals each year who are leaders in the pharmacy profession in Maryland. To view the past award recipients, please click the title of each award.
- W. Arthur Purdum Award: The W. Arthur Purdum Award was established in 1970 by the Maryland Society of Health-System Pharmacists and serves as the Society’s most prestigious award. The purpose of the W. Arthur Purdum Award is to recognize an individual who has made significant and/or sustained contributions or has provided influential leadership for health-system pharmacy in Maryland. Selected by the W. Arthur Purdum Committee, made up of past award recipients, and awarded in the Fall.
- MSHP Excellence Award: The purpose of the MSHP Excellence Award is to recognize and reward outstanding, significant, consistent, and ongoing contributions to advancing pharmacy practice and demonstrating a commitment to improving patient care through multidisciplinary care delivery. Selected by the Nominations and Awards committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Pharmacy Technician of the Year Award: The purpose of the Technician of the Year Award is to honor a certified technician who through his or her dedication, interest and enthusiasm has made a significant contribution to the practice of pharmacy in Maryland. Selected by the Nominations and Awards committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Health-System Pharmacist of the Year Award: The purpose of the Health-System Pharmacist of the Year Award is to recognize and reward a pharmacist who has demonstrated outstanding contributions to the practice of health-system pharmacy with an impact on Maryland citizens, health-system pharmacists, or pharmacy practice within the past year. Selected by the Nominations and Awards committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Preceptor of the Year: The purpose of the Preceptor of the Year Award is to honor an MSHP member for significant contributions to the training and education of students and residents. Selected by the Emerging Practitioners committee in the Spring and awarded at the Resident Welcome.
- Jeffery Ensor Leadership Award: The purpose of the Jeffrey E. Ensor Emerging Leader Award is to recognize and reward an individual, new to health-system pharmacy (10 years from graduation or less), who has demonstrated significant leadership potential with an impact on Maryland health-system pharmacists or pharmacy practice. The candidate will be an emerging leader who demonstrates the ideals of the profession of pharmacy while providing exceptional service and commitment to the profession. Selected by the Nominations and Awards committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Medication Safety Award: The purpose of the Medication Safety Award is to recognize and honor outstanding members who contribute to improvements in medication use and/or patient safety. The award program also allows for sharing achievements and dissemination of ideas for improving medication use and patient safety throughout Maryland’s health-systems. Selected by the Medication Safety committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Student Achievement Award: The Society’s intention is to recognize and reward students who have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership ability, and interest in health-system pharmacy practice. One student from each School of Pharmacy is recognized. The Dean of each school recommends a candidate for selection to the Nominations and Awards committee.
Nominations are announced via email and unless otherwise indicated, all awards are given at the MSHP Medication Safety and Awards Dinner in the Fall.