MSHP Annual Awards
MSHP is proud to recognize individuals each year who are leaders in the pharmacy profession in Maryland.
- W. Arthur Purdum Award: The W. Arthur Purdum Award was established in 1970 by the Maryland Society of Health-System Pharmacists to recognize an individual who has made significant contributions to health-system pharmacy in Maryland and serves as the Society’s most prestigious award. Selected by the W. Arthur Purdum Committee, made up of past award recipients.
- MSHP Excellence Award: This award is designed to recognize and reward outstanding, significant, consistent, and on-going contributions to MSHP. Selected by the Nominations and Awards committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Pharmacy Technician of the Year Award: This award is designed to recognize and reward outstanding service by a certified pharmacy technician who through his or her dedication, interest and enthusiasm has made a significant contribution to the practice of pharmacy in Maryland. Selected by the Nominations and Awards committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Health-System Pharmacist of the Year Award: This award is designed to recognize an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to health system pharmacy during the past year. Selected by the Nominations and Awards committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Jeffery Ensor Leadership Award: This award is designed to recognize and reward an individual, new to health-system pharmacy, who has demonstrated significant leadership potential with an impact on Maryland health-system pharmacists or pharmacy practice. The candidate will be an emerging leader who demonstrates the ideals of the profession of pharmacy while providing exceptional service and commitment to the profession. Selected by the Nominations and Awards committee and awarded in the Fall.
- Preceptor of the Year: This award honors an MSHP member for significant contributions to the training and education of students and residents. Selected by the Emerging Practitioners committee in the Spring and awarded at the Resident Welcome.
- Student Achievement Award: The Society’s intention is to recognize and reward students who have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership ability, and an interest in health-system pharmacy practice. One student from each School of Pharmacy is recognized. The Dean of each school recommends a candidate for selection to the Nominations and Awards committee.
- Medication Safety Award: This award recognizes and honors outstanding members who contribute to improvements in medication use and/or patient safety. The award program also allows for sharing achievements and dissemination of ideas for improving medication use and patient safety throughout Maryland’s health-systems. Selected by the Medication Safety committee and awarded in the Fall.
Nominations are announced via email and unless otherwise indicated, all awards are given at the MSHP Medication Safety and Awards Dinner in the Fall.