Ambulatory Care and Outpatient Pharmacy
The committee utilizes the term “ambulatory services” to mean services provided under the scope of ambulatory, community, outpatient, specialty, infusion, and other non-acute pharmacy practice settings.
Purpose: To optimize ambulatory services in health-system pharmacy practice by strengthening and supporting the development of:
- reimbursement pathways
- collaborative practice agreements
- optimal transitions of care model
- role of the ambulatory clinical practice and expanded pharmacy services for pharmacists and technicians
- collaboration across different pharmacy practice disciplines and within the community
- tools to remove barriers of ambulatory pharmacy access (e.g. medication access, financial access, etc.)
- specialty pharmacy practice care models
- home and ambulatory infusion pharmacy practice care models
Structure and Composition:
The Ambulatory and Outpatient Pharmacy Committee shall be composed of a Chair, Vice-Chair, and committee members.
Charge and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with MSHP board committees to support the ambulatory pharmacy practice expansion goals and purpose.
- Collaborate with the Legislative Committee regarding legislation for the expansion and reimbursement of ambulatory pharmacy services.
- Provide consultation for ambulatory pharmacy practice issues brought to the attention of the organization.
- Develop and provide tools and educational resources for pharmacists and technicians to address barriers such as transitions of care, reimbursement, and sustainable practice models for ambulatory care pharmacy services.
- Collaborate with Educational Programing Committee for ambulatory pharmacy continuing education programing.
- Utilize the MSHP website, PharmaScript, and other venues to spotlight pharmacy practices that optimize ambulatory practice in Maryland.
- Facilitate a community outreach program (examples: vaccine education, Narcan, drug take back, etc.).
- Fall 2023: Moveable Feast volunteering with MSHP colleagues
- Supporting Legislative Committee in finalizing proposed pharmacists’ services reimbursement
- Development of Drug Therapy Management Agreement (DTMA) starter kit
- Development of Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) toolkit for pharmacists with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee
- Technician webinar to highlight job growth and pathways for career-oriented technicians (expected Spring 2024)